Kidnap and Ransom (K&R)
There are an estimated 20,000 kidnappings, detentions, and extortions that take place each year globally, according to NYA International, a London-based kidnap and extortion response consultancy.
The number is probably significantly higher, as it’s estimated that only about 35% of all kidnappings worldwide are reported to the authorities, with about half of these taking place in Latin America.Although no two Kidnap and Ransom policies will be identical, given the need to tailor the cover to a wide range of situations, most include the following:
Kidnap & Ransom Insurance - Key Elements
Full reimbursement of any monies which the insured person(s) has paid or lost due to kidnapping or extortion.
Full reimbursement of loss due to the destruction, disappearance, confiscation, or wrongful appropriation of ransom monies while in the process of being delivered due to a covered kidnapping or extortion.
Accidental Death of Dismemberment
Death or permanent total physical disablement of an insured person sustained during a kidnapping, wrongful detention, extortion, or hijacking event.
Judgments and Legal Liability
Coverage of cost incurred as a result of any claim or suit brought on by any insured person against the insured.
Additional Expenses, including:
- Rest & Rehabilitation
- Medical/psychiatric care
- Fees for independent legal/PR counsel, negotiators, security consultants - Wage and salary replacement of selected employees
- Personal financial loss of a selected individuals
- Costs of increased security
- Lost income due to the loss of an employee
- Personal financial loss
- Risk prevention services, including employee training, creation of contingency and recovery plans
- Travel, relocation, and job retraining expenses
- Many other related expenses