A Public Liability (PL) policy covers liability in respect of:
- injury or
- property damage
that is not insurable by specialized liability insurances such as:
- Motor insurance,
- Employees' Compensaiton insurance,
- Products liability insurance or professional indemnity insurance.
The intention of this insurance is to to cover your legal liability (sometimes expressed as “liability at law”) in respect of accidents occurring during the policy year.
Not only do PL policies cover third party injury and property damage liability, but they also covers legal expenses incurred in defending or resisting such claims.
PL policies are usually subject to a limit of liability, which applies for any one claim (and sometimes for any one insurance year.
Legal expenses are usually payable in addition to the limit of liability.
Most commonly you will find Public Liabiltiy cover wiithin a motor, home, office or travel insurance policy. It is not so common to find it available even as a stand alone product.
Our clients who purchase public liability insurance on its own, are oftentimes fitness coaches or sports instructors.
Common exclusions in a PL Policy are:
- Accidents occurring outside the specified geographical area . Also, by virtue of the typical jurisdiction clause, claims are restricted to those subject to the legal jurisdiction of Hong Kong.
- Other types of policies covering liability risks.
- Contractual liability
- War, nuclear risks, etc.
The premium may be adjustable, i.e. based upon a variable factor, such things as wages or turnover
In cases like this you would pay a provisional premium initially, and then at the end of the policy year you would makea declaration as to the actual wages or turnover and so the final premium would be adjusted accordingly.
More commonly in Hong Kong PL policies are charged according to a flat rate. With these, the insurer accepts the projected wageroll/turnover as the final figure, so that no additional or refund premium has to be considered.
Call the helpful crew at Navigator 2530 2530 or drop us a line at email@example.com for any help you'd like with landlord or any other form of insurance.
Allianz - Public Liability Documents
Download all as zip
Allied World’s ReviveSM Service Industry [RSI] environmental or "Pollution Liability" insurance protects against the various environmental liabilities that are often not covered by a general liability policy.
This policy covers:
- bodily injury,
- property damage,
- environmental damage and
- emergency response expense
caused by pollution incidents arising from work carried out for a client.
- Emergency Response Expense coverage provided explicitly on policy form
- Comprehensive protection for all types of contracting operations
- Transportation and non-owned site liability are covered on a blanket basis
- Insured’s owned/operated sites are covered (time limited)
- Multi-year policies available for projects up to 5 years; plus extended completed operations coverage
USD10 million per occurrence/aggregate
Available on a direct basis in Hong Kong and Singapore
- General Contractors (commercial, residential, municipal, highway/road, infrastructure mechanical, demolition, industrial, excavation and grading)
- Building trades including HVAC, plumbing, electrical, framing and drywall
- Specialty Contractors (oil and gas, pipeline/ tank installation, drillers)
- Maintenance Contractors (industrial, commercial)
- Remediation Contractors (emergency clean-up, environmental consultants)
SUPERIOR CLAIMS HANDLING
Allied World understands that its reputation is built upon a solid promise to our policyholders. Its team of empowered claims professionals located in the Asia- Pacific region strives for full, proactive communication with policyholders during key steps of the resolution process. By effectively communicating with the insured, all parties are kept apprised of the status of the matter, minimizing (or potentially eliminating) unwelcome surprises. Committed to the highest level of professionalism, responsiveness and good faith claims handling, Allied World's claims team applies a high degree of customer service and courtesy standards throughout the process, so that claims are resolved to the satisfaction of all parties.
MSIG Public Liability Documents
Download all as zip
New India Public Liability Policy Documents
Download all as zip