Aetna International is one of the industry's largest and most prominent international health benefits providers. By delivering comprehensive health benefits and population health management solutions worldwide, Aetna International is committed to helping create a stronger, healthier global community.
In Hong Kong Aetna had previously had an agency arrangement with Starr, but in 2018, Aetna obtained its own insurance license and launched Aetna Insurance (Hong Kong) Limited, in line with its global strategy to go ‘broader and deeper’ into local health care markets.
Aetna Insurance (Hong Kong) Limited's group plan "Summit" provides comprehensive and flexible employee health insurance coverage, so that employees can access care from the provider of their choice — anywhere in the world.
The Summit plan is available on an underwritten basis for companies with as few as 3 staff. For companies with 10 staff or more, Aetna offers to disregard medical history... in other words, acceptance is assured and there are no medical questionnaires to complete.
For companies with 5 or more staff, Aetna also offers to guarantee cover on the basis of the Human Resources person answering a limited set of questions about what is known of staff health and any impending hospitalizations.
With the Summit plan, Aetna provides you with the option to take up the Continuous Transfer facility, whereby members under the plan can transfer to one of Aetna's individual plans upon leaving the group plan without the need for medical underwriting.
Please note following conditions:
1) Facility must be taken up at renewal, and current facility fee is 3% of the annual premium and will be included in annual premium for this option. This is a one-off charge and will not be applied again at subsequent renewals
2) Member must be enrolled to Aetna group plan for a minimum of one calendar year to be eligible for this option.
3) Member must be under age 65 and have no break in cover when effecting this option i.e. the individual plan commencement date should be the next day following the last coverage date in the group plan.
4) Member must submit a fully completed “Transfer Form – Aetna Group to Aetna Individual” at least 2 weeks before the last day of employment. Applicable individual plan premium will be the standard individual plan premium plus 30% loading.
5) Member must transfer to an individual plan of benefit design and limits equal or lower than that of the group plan. No plan upgrades are available for group leavers
6) There are legal and compliance regulations which may prevent a continuous transfer. For example, we may not be able to cover local nationals returning to and residing in their home countries, due to local regulations. Also, we do not offer coverage in OFAC Sanctioned countries. Such regulations change from time to time and we will confirm the availability of continuous transfer on a case-by-case basis.
7) If you are not sure whether the quotation in hand has this option, please confirm with your Aetna representative.
8) Please note that a new individual product, Aetna Pioneer has been launched. If you need further information on this product, please discuss with your Aetna representative
International Healthcare Plan
Aetna's newly launched (May 2016) 'Pioneer' plan is available in:
Europe and the
Full Medical Underwriting option may cover pre-existing medical conditions.
Excess or coinsurance
You can select a higher excess or coinsurance to reduce your premium or, by paying a surcharge, you can choose to have no excess or coinsurance.
If you’re thinking about starting or adding to your family, Aetna Maternity will cover you for antenatal and postnatal checkups, delivery costs, routine newborn costs and more.
Whether you’re trekking the globe or travelling for business, Aetna offers worldwide travel insurance for trips of up to 180 days.*
Aetna Personal Accident
For complete peace of mind for your life abroad, Aetna offers you worldwide cover for accidental death as well as permanent total disablement and partial disablement