AXA Hong Kong
AXA General Insurance Hong Kong Limited is a member of the AXA Group, a world leader in financial protection. They offer a comprehensive range of health insurance products for individual customers as well as commercial clients. With over 170 years of experience in Asia, they are one of the top insurers in Hong Kong and a widely recognized industry figure. Their group health insurance products are predominantly aimed at the local market and often offer lower levels of benefit for lower premiums.
Their products include:
- Tailor Made Group Medical Insurance – Flexible plans for companies with 10 or more employees offering cover for inpatient and outpatient treatment with the option of major medical cover, dental, maternity and annual check ups.
- SmartCare Entrepreneur – Offers a higher level of cover and has the option of being ‘portable’ ie cover is kept even in the event of retirement or job change.
- Group International Exclusive – Group cover for only 3 or more employees with extended levels of cover. Also cover for chronic conditions and cashless networks.
- Group SmartCare Executive – Higher limits and benefits with a range of optional extras.
- Group SmartCare Optimum – Full refunds for medical conditions worldwide and high limits of up to $5m with low waiting periods. The most extensive group plan available with AXA.
AXA Hong Kong, a member of the AXA Group, prides itself of serving over 1 million customers1 in Hong Kong and Macau. Besides being one of the largest health protection providers in Hong Kong, it is also the number 1 General Insurance provider2 and a market leader in motor insurance. AXA Hong Kong is committed to the on-going development and enhancement of their life & savings, health, property & casualty, wealth management and retirement solutions in order to satisfy the different needs of their individual and corporate customers. AXA Hong Kong believes it is their inherent responsibility to support the communities they operate in, hence creating a sustainable business via constant and considerable contribution in the dimensions of health, environment and the community.
1. Including customers of AXA China Region Insurance Company Limited, AXA China Region Insurance Company (Bermuda) Limited (incorporated in Bermuda with limited liability), and AXA General Insurance Hong Kong Limited
2. Based on 2015 Office of the Commissioner of Insurance market share statistics represented by overall gross premiums
Navigator is able to provide a range of comprehensive AXA Hong Kong Insurance policies.
In the event that there is a specific type of coverage which you would like to receive from AXA Hong Kong, but cannot find details of the policy on this website, please contact us for further information.
AXA's popular Smart Traveller policy provides:
- Comprehensive medical coverage up to HK$1,000,000 for accident or sickness during your trip, including follow-up treatment after returning to Hong Kong
- 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance service to provide instant support at time of needs, with emergency medical evacuation fully covered
- Cover for loss of deposit or additional expenses for trip cancellation or curtailment, due to extraordinary events such as the raising of a Red or Black Outbound Travel Alert.
- Cover for baggage loss or delay, and additional expenses resulting from unavoidable travel delay.
- Cover for your legal liability towards third parties for bodily injury or property damage, together with associated legal costs and expenses up to HK$3,000,000
- Other benefits include:
- covers for amateur sports,
- rental car excess,
- free cover for children aged under 18,
- free automatic 10-day extension for unavoidable travel delay and many more
- For frequent travellers, the Smart Traveller offers annual coverage with an option of China hospital deposit guarantee.
Travelling with your Helper
IF you are travelling with your domestic helper overseas, it is important to understand that Hong Kong Travel plans DO NOT cover you obligations as an Employer, when your helper is working for you abroad. It is a legal requirement in HK that Employers insure their liabilities according to the Employees' Compensation Ordinance and at Common Law, by having an Employees' Compensation policy. Your Domestic Helper policy will need to be extended (by endorsement) to cover what is locally called 'Overseas Working', as the typical Hong Kong 'Maid/Driver' policy ONLY COVERS YOUR LIABILITIES IN HONG KONG and not abroad.
- Cover of your legal liabilities as an employer in Hong Kong according to:
- the Employees Compensation Ordinance
- Common Law
- Protection from third party claims against your helpers/yourself in case of being held negligent and someone being injured or their property damaged as a result.
- Daily cash subsidy if your helper is hospitalised for five consecutive days or more
- Repatriation expenses for helper when in need to return to his/her country due to illness or in the event of death
- Fidelity protection for financial loss you may suffer due to fraud or dishonest acts committed by your helper
- Optional cover for hospitalisation expenses due to critical illness such as stroke, cancer and kidney failure, etc
- All-in-one medical protection from outpatient, hospitalisation, surgery to emergency dental expenses.
As far as protection for your needing to provide medical care for your helper, plans like AXA's here are of little comfort if your helper suffers some major setback in her/his heatlh.
Typically the HKD30,000 maximum for the years medical expenses can go in a few hours in a private hospital and even the additional Critical Illness protection of HKD70,000 or more for cancer treatment will likely go in a week or two if your helper receives such care in a private clinic.
Our point here is that if you genuinely want to be protected from potentially crippling private medical expenses, you have no alternative other than to take out more comprehensive and costly cover. Contact us to find out where is a good place to start.
NOTE: The better quality Home Plans often include the Employees' Compensation (but not the medical) cover, free of charge.
AXA Hong Kong offers 3 individual products:
Smart Medical Insurance
A typical 'local' market product, with many limitations and caveats that mean it is difficult to be sure as to the extent of your cover in advance of needing treatment.
The product was modelled after a similar product from a Dutch insurer, 'OHRA' and has far fewer limitations than the Smart Medical Plan.
The SmartCare Optimum offers a Private Room (Elite) and SemiPrivate Room (Deluxe) option and can be taken as an individual or company plan for three or more employees.
The Elite, which is hardly ever taken by our clients, offers HKD5,000,000 in hospital cover and HKD150,000 in outpatient cover.
The Deluxe offers HKD2,500,000 in hospital cover and HKD100,000 in outpatient cover.
Dental cover is available but you need to present a dental examination report at your opwn expense at the time of applying.
There are a range of Hospital Deductions available HKD10,000, HKD50,000, HKD100,000, aand HKD250,000. In practice, few of our clients ever take more than the HKD10,000 deductible.
In the case of the Deluxe, there are what we regard as some serious omissions in the extent of cover.
- Overseas Hospital treatment is capped @ HKD500,000
- Outpatient medication is capped @HKD10,000 pa
- Outpatient Kidney Dialysis and Cancer treatment is capped @ HKD250,000 for the year and this amount may only last you a month or two.
For group cover, AXA does not offer to disregard medical history and will underwrite all those to be insured. If people have health issus, their premiums will be increased or AXA may refuse to cover certain conditions. Futhermore, at renewal of the group, AXA will charge a rate that reflects the claim experience over the preceeding year.
Global Elite II
The Global Elite II guarantees acceptance of anyone from age 14 days old to 80 (subject to availability of Global Elite II at the time of application), with no requirement for a medical questionnaire or screening.
Global Elite II’s Prestige and Comprehensive benefit levels cover both Pre-existing Conditions and Congenital Conditions.
If you have been on either of these two top levels of cover for 9 months, you can claim up to USD2300 for preexisting conditions and if you have been covefred 2 years or more, but have not been free of the need to seek or obtain treatment, thne you can claim USD4600 pa. Once trouble free for a period of 2+ years, you have full cover.
AXA offers a number of home insurance plans such as:
Monthly Paid: (Balance of first Month PLUS entire second month, FREE!)
- The Captain's Home plan: Rated traditionally according to Sum Issured and including Free Employees' Compensation cover.
- The New Settlers Home Plan: Unusually includes an optilon of an annual travel plan for family members and domestic helpers. Free Employee' Compensation cover as well as the limited hospital and outpatient benefits of traditional helper policies are also included for one helper, FREE!
AXA guarantees to match or better any comparable quote and in our recall, we have never known them beaten.
One thing people like about these plans is that you do not need to provide proof of value at the outset. You only need to provide proof of value IF you claim.
- AXA ArtPlus
This product has a minimum premium of HKD20,000 and is generally taken by people with substantial art collections.
Download all as zip
Most companies in the market rate cars for comprehensive cover according to the 'sum insured'. Not so AXA, which rates by a matrix involving especially the cost of repairs, occupation and age of the driver and so on.
AXA's Office policy is designed for the typical Hong Kong office and contains the key cover elemetns of Employee's Compensation, Office contents and public liability.
In line with the rest of the market, AXA does not insure people working out of home offices.
If you are moving home or office in Hong Kong or internationally, AXA Hong Kong provides 'All Risk' cover for your goods in transit. The rates charged are typically well under what a removalist will charge.
The catch is that AXA does not insure:
- Pairs and sets. So if one of a set of two standard lamps was broken, you could only claim for one.
- Mould and mildew. This could e an issue if moisture penetrated your container in transit and you had fabrics being shipped.
AXA's art division focusses on insuring art, whether in homes or offices and as well in galleries and in transit to and from exhibitions.
AXA will provide cover for household or office contents, but if you have less than perhaps a HKD1.5m in art to insure, we will likely need to find cover elsewhere.
Collectors of art are well advised to ensure that their treasured possessions are fully insured and protected. Navigator Insurance Brokers are able to offer specialist advice on how best to protect those cherished works of art.
AXA Art’s Private Collections insurance policy is designed to meet the requirements of serious art collectors who need specialist insurance solutions.
AXA Art has been offering specialist insurance cover to private and corporate art collectors internationally for more than 50 years. This also includes providing insurance in Hong Kong for private homes, galleries, museums and exhibitors.
Navigator Insurance Brokers will advise you on options available and work with AXA Art experts in order to ensure that a suitable policy is issued for your specific requirements. AXA Art employ art professionals to assist in the process of advising you on how to fully protect against financial loss. When necessary, Axa Art will also provide a survey service to help establish and agree risk reduction measures.
The cover is based on an agreed value including depreciation after any loss. New acquisitions can be added to the same policy and cover includes transit and emergency evacuations.
Included within the AXA Art policy is the option to cover not just your art, but also:
- Classic and Vintage Cars
- Fabrics, Textiles and Clothing
- High-Value Memorabilia
- Rare Coins
- (Vintage) Wine
NOTE: The Classic car cover option is to provide cover for your car in storage and while is is being driven for maintenance.
If you would like to receive a free quote for any of the AXA Art Insurance plans offered by Navigator simply contact us and tell us what you need.
If you would like further details about individual policies from AXA General Insurance, would like to compare AXA against a range of alternative insurance providers, or if you would like to investigate your coverage options in Hong Kong, please contact Navigator today.