"Helping people live safer, more secure lives" since 1912
Liberty Mutual Group
Boston-based Liberty Mutual Insurance Group is a diversified global insurer.
By measure of direct written premium in 2013, as a Property and Casualty insurer, Liberty Mutual Group ranks
# 3 in the US
# 5 internationally
The Group ranks in the the Fortune 100 list of largest corporations in the U.S.
Today, Liberty Mutual Insurance Group is a diversified international insurance group, employing over 50,000 staff in more than 900 offices around the world.
Liberty International comprises country operations in Asia, Europe, and Latin America, which provide personal and small commercial insurance products.
In each market it operates, Liberty International is focused on becoming the premier provider of personal and small commercial insurance products and services.
Liberty Insurance in Hong Kong
Liberty International Insurance Limited in Hong Kong is a 100% owned subsidiary of the Liberty Mutual Insurance Group. Liberty in Hong Kong first started as OTB Assurance Ltd in 1973.
In November 1999, Liberty Mutual Insurance Group acquired 70% shares of the company and was renamed as "Liberty International Insurance Limited". In 2003, the Group took over the remaining 30% shares.
Today, we offer a wide range of insurance products and services for individuals and corporations, including private motor, individual and group Life and Medical, office and shop packages, etc. Today in Hong Kong, Liberty International is one of the top 10 Medical insurance providers and one of the top 20 Property and Casualty insurers.
Liberty provides motor insurance for two distinct market segments in Hong Kong
Not only does it offer standard motor policy in line with others, but it also provides a product called "Liberty Privilege", a pioneering insurance product that is designed to cover vehicles worth over HK$1,000,000.
The standard Motor Policy, called simply 'Private Motor' is available as a polcy covering the compulsory Third party injury (to HKD100m) requirements and additionally covering damage to your pown vehicle by way of a "Comprehensive" policy.
The differences are as highlighted below;
|Third Party cover||Comprehensive cover|
|Loss or damage to motor vehicle||✓|
|Third Party Liability (HK only)||✓||✓|
|Medical expense of insured drivers||✓|
|No Claim Discount (NCD)||✓||✓|
|No Claim Discount Protection||✓|
|Free Windscreen benefit||✓|
|24-Hour Emergency Towing / Roadside Service – HKSAR only||✓|
|Temporary Substitute Vehicle Benefit||✓|
|Driver’s Life Protection||✓|
|New for Old Replacement Vehicle Benefit (for brand new car)||✓|
Private Motor Documents
Liberty offers medical plans designed for both the Individual and group markets
ProMedico: This is Liberty's high end medical plan that has been in the market for over 15 years.
Key Features are:
- Fully covered for Surgical Fee, Consultation Fee, Hospital Charges, etc.
- Oncology Treatment is fully covered including Target Therapy, Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy.
- Flexible options with deductible and high limit of millions US dollar
- Guaranteed life time renewable up to age 100 with pool rating and coverage Cashless hospitalization arrangement
- Optional Benefits for Outpatient, Dental and Maternity Care
- Free choice of doctors for both hospital and outpatient 24-hour worldwide emergency medical transportation and assistance
- Worldwide cover except residents of USA/Canada
|Overall Annual Limit||US$125,000||US$300,000||US$1,500,000||US$3,000,000|
|(1) NIL||(1) NIL|
|(2) US$ 5,000||(2) US$ 5,000|
|(3) US$ 8,000||(3) US$ 8,000|
|Hospital Charges||Fully covered||Fully covered||Fully covered||Fully covered|
|Oncology Treatment||Fully covered||Fully covered||Fully covered||Fully covered|
|Pre & Post Hospitalization Treatment||Fully covered||Fully covered||Fully covered||Fully covered|
|Day Case Treatment||US$6,000||Fully covered||Fully covered||Fully covered|
|Cashless Hospitalization Arrangement||Included||Included||Included||Included|
|Out-patient Services||US$ 5,000 / US$ 10,000||Fully covered|
|Optional Dental Care||US$ 1,000|
|Optional Maternity Care||First Year Overall Limit – NIL|
||Second Year Overall Limit – US$5,000|
|Third Year & thereafter Overall Annual Limit – US$10,000|
Service Improvments to Liberty Healthcare services
In early 2020, Liberty;
- Expanded its panel service to HMMP,
- Increased eClaim limit up to HK$3,000 and
- Optimised its pre-assessment service.
1. Expanded outpatient panel service to HMMP
Nearly 700 clinics run by Health Maintenance Medical Practice (HMMP) haVE been added to Liberty's panel doctor service. Check out their latest panel doctor list or search the nearest doctors in the Liberty HK app (Android | iOS).
2. Increased eClaim limit up to HK$3,000
Liberty's clients can now submit their outpatient and dental claims up to HK$3,000 per claim through the Liberty HK app (Android | iOS) anytime anywhere. Any medical claims above HK$3,000, however sill needs members to submit hard copies of the claim form and original claim documents.
3. Optimized Pre-assessment service
By comparing medical charges with data in Lioberty'sr own database and elseswhere from the healthcare sector, Liberty's pre-assessment service ensures that the premium the employer pays for their employee benefits is well better used.
To apply the pre-assessment service, employers and employees can simply submit the treatment plan with a doctor’s quotation via the Liberty HK app (Android | iOS) or submit a pre-assessment form through to email@example.com.
Liberty's Office Plus policy provides a apackage solution for offices, shops and businesses in general.
Components of the package are:
- "All Risks" protection for your Office Contents, including:
- Landlord's fixtures and fittings for which you are responsible,
- tenant's improvements,
- trade samples and stock,
- office equipment,
- employees' personal effects, etc.
- Increased Cost of Working: This section gives you protection for additional cost of carrying on your business after a loss payable under "Office Contents All risks" cover for a period up to 12 months. The sum insured automatically provided is HK$1,000,000 per occurrence / any one period of insurance. Time excess is 48 consecutive hours.
- Money and Assault: This section gives you protection against loss of Money (cash, cheques, crossed cheques, money orders etc) at Business Premises or in transit anywhere in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. The policy also covers loss of money in a bank night safe and damage to safes by theft or attempted theft.
- Public Liability: This section covers your legal liability in respect of compensation for third party bodily injury and or property damage arising in connection with the business operation and occurring within the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. The Limit of Liability shall include all costs and expenses recovered by any claimant from the Insured and all costs and expenses incurred by the Insured with the written consent of the Company. Maximum limit is HK$10,000,000 per occurrence and unlimited any one period of insurance and with the following extensions:
- Independent Contractor's Liability
- Overseas Visits Clause
- Tenant's Liability Clause
- Food &/or Drinks Poisoning Clause
- First Aid Clause
- Welfare Social and Sports Club Clause
- Employees' Compensation: This section covers your liability to employees in accordance with the Employees' Compensation Ordinance and Common Law, for injuries or death arising out of employment, up to HK$100 million per event and with the following extensions at no extra cost:
- Meal and Lunch Time Clause
- Emergency Transportation Clause
- Extra-Ordinary Weather Conditions Clause
- Hospital Benefit Extension: HKD50,000 in hospital cover, reimbursed @ 80%
Better than no cover at all, but in practice this benefit would hardly last a night in a private hospital. Premium is age related and less than HKD2000 per employee per year.
Download all as zip
Under Liberty's Voluntary Employee Benefits arrangement, staff can choose additional insurance products according to their own needs in addition to their existing level of employer sponsored benefits. These 'top up' options are normally more economical for the staff concerned than taking such cover as a single individual.
The main product / areas for cover to be provided staff are:
- mediTop : A top up medical insurance that helps protecgt against inflation critical illness.
- A top up major critical illness benefits to help cope with expensive oncology treatments.
- A level premium term life : Providing high levels of basic term life cover on a low premium